Friday, November 12, 2004

Nov 12 - at Portland


Today I crossed the US-Canadian border at the Pacific Crossing - the truck route a few miles east of the Peace Arch crossing. The US Border Patrol officer who inspected me was a tough-looking Black man -- looked like my DI. He looked over my passport (and knew from his database that I'd crossed northbound 2 months ago), walked back to look over the Harley a minute, then asked me, "Are you glad to be home? ... and too bad about the Yankees."

Portland is where I-5 meets I-84, on the Columbia River. The Hampton Inn here is inexpensive, small, and tonight is practically empty. I got underway at 5:00 AM PST today, so I pulled off the road at 5:00 PM - t o check email and go top bed early.

The drive east from here should be particularly beautiful, and I didn't want to drive it in the dark. So as long as I am driving INTO the sun tomorrow, I'll be headed in the right direction, toward the farther ocean.

Talk radio is more active out here...in the course of about 5 hours, I listened to Rush Limbaugh (mostly about Arafat's Swiss bank accounts, the usual Red-Blue stuff), Savage Nation (interviewing R. Bork), Tony Snow (interviewing A. Specter), Sean Hannity (feuding with Moyers & interviewing G. Will, J. McCain). Whew! Lots of stuff about today's Peterson verdict, judicial nominations, Dems fretting and Blues seceding from the Union (which we could handle just like the last secession attempt).

JB
20140302


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home