Sunday, October 16, 2005

36 degrees on I-290 today

It is 51 degrees here in Chicago, and the sky is so blue that it dazzles the eyes just to look at it. Yesterday was the same. As soon we as I finish this post, I am going to take Smedley out for a high-speed run down Interstate 290.

Yesterday I rode the bike north on Highway 53, practically an interstate for all intents and purposes, and let the machine stretch its legs, after weeks of just going to and from work. There was one long straight stretch on 53 where there was practically no traffic, and before I knew it I was up to about 91. It is amazing how little things matter a lot at those speeds. For example, I forget to close the ventilation panels in the front of my leather jacket and the wind at that speed suddenly ballooned my jacket like a parachute. I had to pull over and zip them closed before getting really comfortable at that speed again for another few miles.

At 51 degrees and 90 MPH, too much ventilation makes it too cold for comfort (according to the NOAA website, that is a windchill equivalent of 36 degrees). That is too much weakness leaving the body. It is about time for me to shift to the heavier cold weather jacket.

This was not quite as much fun as walking up 5th Avenue with the Italian-American Community Service Band from 43rd to 86th in the 2005 Columbus Day Parade, but it is close enough for this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home