Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Death of a Friend

This came this morning from Boyd Cherry, my college roommate.

"John,

"I send this with a heavy heart tonight.

"Our buddy Paul Kornfuehrer died Sunday afternoon. It was a tragic accident. Paul was cleaning his hunting guns to put away after the season and one discharged hitting him in the side.

"Apparently he was sitting on a small stool near a coffee table and had the guns (two rifles, two shotguns and a pistol) on a near by couch. It appears from the investigation that he must have reached for one of the rifles by the barrel and as he slid it off the couch it discharged.

"One of his neighbors told me he removed the guns at the request ofthe police after they had finished their investigation. He told me that all of them were loaded. I'm just amazed that he would be that careless. As you might guess Susan is very upset, as we all are. Susan was actual gone over the weekend and got back Sunday afternoon to find him. It must not have been long after it happened because she said that he had some cheese and crackers with a glass of wine on the coffeetable and the wine was still cool.

"Zou and I have been in Victoria the last two days trying to help her. Luckily she has a lot of friends there and of course two very fine Marines. You probably know that both of Paul's sons are stationed at Camp Pendleton. They were able to get a flight out Sunday night that got them into Houston at 4 a.m. Monday. Zou and I picked them up at the airport and took them to Victoria. I know I've probably been rambling but we just newspaper that has Paul's obituary.

Boyd"

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/Public_Records/Obituaries/story/2511436p-2909971c.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home