Friday, August 14, 2009

14 August 2009, Cheyenne, Wyoming


Friday 14 August 2009
Cheyenne, Wyoming

This famous western town is 1,700.1 miles west of Schenectady, all on I-90 or I-80. I left Schenectady at 4.45am EST on Wednesday, the 12th, and set the cruise control on about 57 MPH most of the time. I rarely had to worry about passing another vehicle.

The drive out, once out of New York and Pennsylvania, was a long drive through corn and soybean fields. I did not know what soybeans looked like until I met a farmer while riding my bicycle near Milan, Ohio at the end of the first day. Malcolm Perkins’s soybean farm is about 8 miles east of Milan on Huron-Avery Road, not far past the turn off to the Erie County landfill.

On the bicycle ride to and from my talk with Perkins many of the farmers in the fields waved, and none of the farm dogs barked at me. That seemed too much just for mid-western friendliness; maybe I resemble someone who lives around Milan.

Tomorrow Barry arrives at 1.05pm MST. We will stay here in Cheyenne tomorrow and tomorrow night, and head for Medford Sunday morning.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home