Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Apples Defeat Worms, etc.

Walt Mossburg, the WSJ's technology columnist, writes that the only way to absolutely get rid of spyware, spybots, and the other web junk that ruins PCs is to switch to Macintosh. So after Richard and Sarah bought an iMac G5, and I played with it for a few days, I started taking all these free classes at Apple stores in Virginia and Florida.

Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther" ~ iMacs (the new slick one-unit screen/CPU machines) ~ eMacs (the Mac for kids and schools) ~ Keynote (the Apple 'PowerPoint') ~ Pages (their 'desktop publishing' program) ~ Bluetooth (the wireless apparatus) ~ and the family of image and sound stuff (iTunes, iPods galore, iMovie, etc., etc.)

Judging just from the buzz in the press AND the heavy crowds in the three Apple stores that I have be hanging around lately, Apple seems to be making a big move. The WSJ says Apple only has about 3% of the computer market, but I’ll bet that changes significantly soon. My next machine will be an Apple, I think, just to get around the Internet contamination problem.

The Apples I have been experimenting with are equipped with the latest and greatest versions of Microsoft Office, which are neater than the 1998 version that I have been using, so some of the fun has been using the new MSO versions.

BTW, I am writing on a Mac mini…the $500 Apple that is about the size of a Panera Bread cinnamon bun, and uses your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse, they say. A very cheap way to have a serviceable Mac, if true.

The sales people at these three stores, at least, have been friendly and knowledgeable, as well as laidback.

If you use a PC, go try these new machines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home